Hayward J. Benson, Jr., Ed. D.
is the Immediate Past President and Owner of The Ben-Alex Group, Inc., a consulting and lobbying company. This Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) provides consulting services in the areas of transportation, education, analysis and management. The company is now owned by one of his sons.
Mr. Benson was an educator and administrator in the Florida education system from 1958-1983. He did his undergraduate work at Florida A&M University and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, U. S. Army, upon graduation. He received his Master’s degree from the University of Arizona and received his Doctorate of Education degree from Florida Atlantic University. He worked in the Broward school system as a teacher, principal, Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and an Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent of Schools.
He left the Broward School System to serve as Director of the Broward County Public Services department (administering 10 Divisions in the governmental structure). After retiring from the public sector, he worked in the private sector as VP Special Markets, Airocar, Inc. /Gray Line of Fort Lauderdale; VP/CEO, Airocar, Inc.; President/CEO Airocar, Inc. /Gray Line of Fort Lauderdale and Orlando Transportation, Ltd. as well as VP, Gaddis Corp.
Mr. Benson began his political career in 1982, serving as Councilman in the City of Lauderhill, Florida until 1984. He is currently a member of the City Commission of this “All-America City,” after being elected, unopposed, in 2006 and 2010. He was re-elected in 2014.
He has sponsored progressive legislation for the improvement of the City’s status and service delivery to the citizens of the City of Lauderhill
In 1995 he was a recipient of the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University’s
Distinguished Alumni Award in Education.
Mr. Benson has previously served on the following boards:
- Broward County Charter Review Commission
- Chair of the Board, Florida Education Fund
- Board of Directors, City National Bank of Florida
- Commissioner, Florida Commission on Tourism
- Board Member, Florida Tourism Industry Marketing Corporation
- Tourist Development Council, Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Management and Efficiency Study Committee, Broward County’s Government
Mr. Benson currently serves and is a member of:
- National League of Cities’, Community and Economic Development Steering Committee
- Florida League of Cities, Growth Management and Economic Affairs Legislative Policy Committee
- Central Broward Kiwanis Club
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
He is married to Mattie Jo Alexander and they have two sons, Stephan and Cameron, one daughter-in-law, d’Rene and three precocious granddaughters, Siena, Summer and Sia.